Sunday, March 20, 2011

The First Day of Spring

What a wonderful weekend!
We spent the weekend enjoying the sunshine after many cold, rainy days inside. 
I am happy to say, I think Jeremy and I finally have "green thumbs." 
Our mud pit is gone and we are on our way to a landscaped area for our back patio. 
Very exciting!! 


These "before, before" pictures bring back memories... 
of a wild garden, old windows, bricks, rocks, an ill-placed gutter, and many weed killers later.
 
A time before the basement flooded and digging to "China" was all the guys did... 

 We finally started a formal landscape area.. with structure. 
The wildness of the other garden really bothered this OCD husband and wife. :)






Weed Barrier 


 What a great idea Jeremy had; 
reusing the extra red bricks from the patio!
Which turned out to be an adorable border! 

Evelyn helped us plant 8 English Dwarf Boxwoods


She is so proud! 
Our lil' gardener got hot as the day went on and had to change :)


We plan to add an ornamental tree (Star Magnolia, Crape Myrtle, Dogwood) and double-knock out roses and of course mulch.

Evelyn & I planted white Pansies and cheery-red and purple-pink Dianthus


The cutest part, she took off her sponge bob gardening gloves and 
said "Ah.. it feels so good to feel the soil in my fingers." :)

Jeremy mounted our hose to the wall and we even purchased a new grill since ours is at the curb waiting for the Monday morning garbage man. 
Amazing what can be accomplished in two days!
We grilled out for the first time tonight with the kids. 
I think we will break our grill in quickly. 

Happy 1st Day of Spring. 
May there be more sunny days to come!!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa!! What an awesome start! Looks unbelievable! So happy for your little family. You will enjoy the fruits of your labor. Little Evie will love watching it all grow. She couldn't have been blessed with a better half-mom :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really cannot wait to see all of the renovations in person! It looks so great!!! What an amazing mother you are! What a blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete